Tuesday, February 06, 2007

And so it ends...

Finally, finally. i finished serving my national service and got back my beloved pink IC. 6th February 2007, this day marks the end of another chapter of my life. i am free from the clutches of SAF, no longer subjected to the slavery and torture of being an NSF, i am free! alright i have been pretty free for the last month already but its today that i am truly fully free and i am a civilian once again. before i close the door to this chapter of my life, i stand looking through it and ponder, replaying scenes in my mind, some were good and some were dark. i wasn't the best person, i did many things that no one should ever know, these things that i shall keep hidden in the ravines of my mind and pray that it never surface again. on the other hand, there has been a lot of learning experiences through out the past 2 years, i picked up many valuable life skills and PR skills as well. i dare say it is not a wasted 2 years, i know i will get stone for saying this but having to do national service is a good thing and i hope that it will stay compulsory and don't escape from it. As i appreciate the moment of closing the door, let me recount the top 5 best moments of my army life and at number 5 we have...

5th. All my meals that i had with zhang wei. he was the only one good friend i made in my army life, i met him in my basic medic course, we got posted to the same unit, attended same spec course and given same appointments. i will always remember breakfast at canteen with him, then maybe lunch and we would always go later for dinner so there was no queue and we can also ask for more food. we would complain to each other about how horrible army is. he ord about 10 months before me coz he was a year older and after that i was always alone for most of my meals.

at number 4, it would be eating fresh ration on rest day of my 7 days field camp when i was in BMT. i never knew how amazing fresh hot food tasted until that day. shoving every spoon of food into my mouth, feeling the warm food swirling down into my stomach was the most magical feeling ever. having to eat combat rations for the other 6 days was no joke, it really really made me appreciate cooked fresh food.

and of course at number 3 how can i not mention my hospital and ambulance attachment. it was the best week of my army life. for more info, you can refer to my previous entry.

and at second place, and very well deserving i must add, will be a hot bath in the midst of field camp! i must elaborate on this, many of us do not know how precious a bath can be, even more a warm one. this very very memorable incident happened when i was already a medic spec and i was covering my company for its 5 day outfield training. after running around in the rain saving people and getting really really dirty the previous day, i got a casualty at night on the 3rd day and i had to send him to the medical centre, while waiting at the medical centre, i took the opportunity to go get a bath and i borrowed some toiletries from the duty medic. i was already very happy that i can actually get to bathe. even though it was freezing in the medical centre, i had to get a bath to clean myself up no matter how freaking cold it was. mind you, taking a cold shower in a freezing cold air con room is painful. but when i hit the shower and braced myself for the barrage of cold water, none came. instead warm water flow onto my skin, the feeling was orgasmic, simply heavenly. i almost cried out to God grateful of his mercy on me.

and of course at number 1, it would definitely have to be collecting my pink IC today. seeing it again after 2 years is like meeting a long lost lover. i embraced it like there was no tomorrow and i can't stop smiling thereafter.

i seem to be happy at such small stuff... haha.. maybe i'm very easily satisfied and contented. these are the things that mean a lot to me and will always put a smile to my face whenever i think about them. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home